- One package Orgran Chocolate Cake mix
- 200g canned or jar of cherries
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Cream-cheese frosting:
- 115g butter (softened)
- 250g Cream cheese (softened)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups icing sugar
- Fresh cherries (to decorate)
- Chocolate flakes (to decorate)
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with patty pans and preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Prepare chocolate cake mix according to instructions. Scoop cake mix into the patty pans, filling around ¾ of the way full. Place in oven, and cook for 15 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted. Allow to cool completely.
- To make the cherry filling, place the cherries with its juice into a saucepan. Add sugar and begin to cook on a low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved, add the lemon juice, and continue stirring until the mixture comes to a gentle simmer. Gently use a fork to slightly break up the cherries into smaller pieces. Keep mixing for around 10 minutes, until the mixture has slightly thickened. Allow to cool.
- To make the frosting, combine butter, cream cheese, and vanilla. Slowly start adding in the icing sugar, half a cup at a time, mixing until the frosting is smooth and at your desired consistency.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, using a knife gently scoop out a small portion of the middle of the cupcake, so there becomes a small hole on the inside. Scoop the cherry filling into the hole of the cupcake.
- Using a piping bag or a knife, frost the cupcakes using the cream-cheese frosting, and decorate with a fresh cherry, and some chocolate flakes. Serve